App Name/Publisher: Custom Boards - Premium by Smarty Ears
This app allows the S-LP to create activities and communication boards on-the-go. The app includes over 100 templates and 11,000 Smarty Symbols available to create games/activities, communication boards and templates/overlays for other dedicated communication devices and visual supports. You can print (directly from the app using AirPrint), save and/or email everything you create using this app.
Templates are grouped in 6 different categories:
1. Activities and Games
2. Grids and Boards
3. Schedules and Calendars
5. Devices and Switches
6. Signs and Labels
There are also options to use photos from the iPad library or Goggle images. This is very useful for creating individualized activities, visual supports and communication boards.
There is a free (with in-app purchases) and premium version of this app.
- Create visuals supports such as schedules, first then contingency boards, scripts.
- Create activities to support academic and individualized goals and programming.
- Create activities to support goals across many speech-language domains such as articulation, expressive and receptive language and fluency.
- Create communication boards that are individualized for the children/students and/or adults with whom you work.
- Create overlays for 33 different communication devices and switches (such as the Go Talk 9+, Big Mac and Tech Talk).
- Create homework activities with your children/students and/or adult clients as an end of therapy activity. For the children on your caseload, you can email it to parents/caregivers.
Here are some examples of visuals, communication boards and activities created using Custom Boards - Premium:
Articulation /sh/ Board Game
First Then Visual
Snack Choice Board (using Google images feature)
To get an idea of how this app works, have a look at this Smarty Ears video:
You can access a Custom Boards Sharing Station created by the app developer Barbara Fernandez here. There you will find some already made activities and boards.
The possibilities are only as limited as your imagination with this app. It's versatile and flexible. The degree of individualization that can be achieved with this app is a definite bonus.
The app is incredibly easy to use and you can create activities in minutes (a major plus for time strapped S-LPs).
Articulation & Phonology
Expressive & Receptive Language
Age/Grade Levels Targeted
Early Elementary (Grades 1 – 3)
Upper Elementary (Grades 3- 6)
Middle School/Junior High (Grades 7-9)
High School (Grades 10-12)
Type of Device
Would you recommend this app?
Review Date: September 20, 2012
Renena Joy, M.Sc., S-LP(C)